Re: tlug: Samba progress . . . but

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> Thanks to everybody who posted advice on dealing with Samba.  With your
> help, I now have it doing pretty much everything I want.  It shows the
> public upload directory.  It shows the public download directory.  That's
> great.
>
> But it's doing one thing that I don't want, and so far nothing I've tried
> putting in or out of smb.conf has had any effect on this at all. Despite
> the fact that it is set for security = share, it asks for a password to
> access those files.  But that's not exactly what I had in mind.  Setting
> that to share under Windows allows anyone on my LAN to access those
> directories - no questions asked - at the permission level the directories
> are set to.  One is set to read-only, one is set to read and write.
> Nobody has to supply a password, the whole idea is that these two
> directories are *public* and that is supposed to mean that anyone can
> access them freely.

from the smb.conf(5) manpage:

       Services may be guest services, in which case no  password
       is  required  to access them. A specified guest account is
       used to define access privileges in this case.

       Services other than guest services will require a password
       to  access them. The client provides the username. As many
       clients only provide passwords and not usernames, you  may
       specify  a list of usernames to check against the password
       using the "user=" option in the service definition.

So, set up a guest account and allow it access to 'upload' ..

You really should do a 'man smb.conf', and read it, too :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: