RE: tlug: buying Linux/UNIX/Internetworking related books in Tokyo

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> >Amazon is also a good source (www.amazon.com)  If you buy certain books, a
> >percentage of the proceeds goes to the developers, too.  ie, I think if
> >you buy the Oreilly perl or python books, the maintainers of perl or
> >python get some $$ directly.  Maybe they stopped doing this, though, I'm
>

> They don't get it if you buy right from their web site, but if they have an
> Amazon Books partner section on their site.  Anyone can participate in that,
> buy the way.  PHT, TLUG, or anyone with a personal home page.  You put the
> Amazon books section on your page with books you like and would recommend to
> people, and they can click through to an order form at Amazon.  When Amazon
> gets paid, you get a (small, I'm sure) percentage for yourself.  As far as I
> know, they still do it.  At least,  I haven't heard that they don't.

I was at their site last night, I didn't see it.  What I *did* see is that
they charge you $13 shipping on a $7 book to get it to Japan within 3
weeks.  if you can wait 8 weeks, it's only $8 shipping.  Kinokuniya has
the same book for the equivalent of $14 USD, so...

> Jonathan

> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: