Re: tlug: mew subject width

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

>     Craig> I've been using edict.el with mule in the office on libc5
>     Craig> for some time.  I have used it with emacs 20.2, xemacs20.3,
>     Craig> and xemacs 20.4. I'm currently using mew with Xemacs 20.4
>     Craig> built with canna support.  I don't byte compile edict.el as
>     Craig> I've had problems with byte compilation.  It takes a while
>     Craig> to load the first time, but after that it works fine.  I
>     Craig> have been using edict.el as an indispensible tool.  If you
>     Craig> want to get it to run, I can send you the elisp source and
>     Craig> my .emacs file.
>
> That would be quite helpful if you could send me both.

beehive:~/www/tmp$ ls -l
total 136
-rw-r--r--   1 craig      staff          479 Apr  6 15:33 edict-dot-emacs
-rw-r--r--   1 craig      staff        68091 Apr  6 15:32 edict.el
beehive:~/www/tmp$

which means they are accessible from
  http://twics.com/~craig/tmp/

A couple of notes.  I'm using it with Mule 19.34 libc5 in the office
and XEmacs20.4 libc6 at home.  I seem to remember using it on GNU Emacs 20.3,
but now I can't be too sure.  About 2 days ago I upgraded my system
and GNU Emacs started to core dump on me.  I have the canna dynamic loading
system compiled into it and am using apel for the canna stuff.  That might
be the problem.  I'll try to compile it from source and give it a try.

However, I just used XEmacs20.4 and that edict.el file last night for
my e-mail and I used it in the office with mule 19.34 a few minutes ago.

Note that I cannot byte-compile the edict.el file.  I am running it
under the interpreter.  If Stephen gets it to byte-compile, this would be
a good thing as it would run a lot faster. Help the world and byte-compile
edict.el.

This move from libc5 to glibc6 is just making life that much more
harder ^h^h^h^h^h  interesting.

Regards,
Craig

----