Re: tlug: mew subject width

From: "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: mew subject width
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 20:25:15 +0900

Andy,
thanks for your tip.  I eventually got it working by editing my
.im/Config file.

I have this in my ~/.im/Config:
  Form=%+5n %m%d %-14A %-40S %b   # default format for scanning

That is pretty cool about passing the im argument to mew.  How
did you figure that out?

Mew is getting to be a pretty complex system.  Do you use it
as your mail mailer?  I'm still switching between Pine for business
use and Mew for TLUG stuff.  One thing I did notice is that the
im Config file had something about IMAP support.  Have you tried
this out yet?  Is it a relatively full implementation like the IMAP
implementation found in Pine or is it a limited implementation like
that found in fetchmail?   I find the IMAP file management functions
of Pine to be very helpful.

One reason that mew is seductive to me is that I can use edict.el
on Japanese for both reading and writing.  I think that the 40
character subject line width might be enough. I think that the first
few words of the body might actually be useful.

Now I have to figure out what to do about filtering those dozens of
linux-users e-mail messages per day into a sub-folder.

Regards,
Craig

----
temporary:  craigoda@example.com       http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craig
soon to be:  craigoda@example.com
business: TWICS - tel 03-3351-5977  e-mail craig@example.com

>     craigoda> Hi, I'm trying out mew, the e-mail system, under XEmacs
>     craigoda> 20.4.
>
>     craigoda> I would like to increase the width of the subject line
>     craigoda> in the summary window.
>
> I got it working. Just add the following to you .emacs
>
> (setq mew-prog-imls-arg-list (list "--form=%5n %m%d %-14A %-40S %b"))
>
> I was trying to set it to:
>
> (setq mew-prog-imls-arg-list (list "-f \"%5n %m%d %-14A %-40S %b\""))
>
> but this did not work because when imls was called, that arg was
> passed as:
>
> 	"-f "%5n %m%d %-14A %-40S %b""
>
> The format means ( I think ) :
>
> %5n %m%d %-14A %-40S %b
>  |   |     |     |    |
>  |   |     |     |    - body
>  |   |     |     - subject width
>  |   |     - sender width
>  |   - month day
>  - message number
>
>     craigoda> As you can see from the example above, I can't read the
>     craigoda> entire subject line.  I would like to get rid of the
>     craigoda> first line of the e-mail message that is to the right of
>     craigoda> the subject line and just have the message number, date,
>     craigoda> author, and subject in the summary bar.  Is there any
>     craigoda> way I can do this?
>
> I think if you make format something like:
>
> %5n %m%d %-14A %-50S

a word from the sponsor: