Re: tlug: Turbo linux and Apache.

-----Original Message-----
From: Masato Uesu <muesu@example.com>
To: tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com>
Date: 1998”N4ŒŽ3“ú 20:45
Subject: tlug: Turbo linux and Apache.

>Hi, I just wiped out my RH5 and installed Turbo Linux just to see what
>it's like. My friend brought me CD-ROMS and it was too tempting.
>
>Now that I have almost everything back to normal, I noticed something...
>Where's httpd???

Normally, Apache is installed automatically and works fine.  You get a
chance in the install routine to tell it whether you want it to be a web
server, and if you choose yes, you get Apache.

I've never had a broken dependency under TurboLinux.  It sort of sounds like
maybe something went wrong in your install.  What version number and
language of TurboLinux do you have, and did you do a full, minimal, or
custom installation?  Mine is 1.4-J (has Apache 1.2), upgraded from 1.0-J
before that.

If you choose which packages to install and you've broken any dependencies
by un-selecting some, the installer will let you know about them and ask if
it should fix all dependencies automatically, which works very well.   Doing
its own thing, the TurboLinux installer is about as bulletproof as you could
want anything to be, but I suppose accidents are possible.

A bit of a sledgehammer approach but one which might work is just install it
again and tell it to install everything.  This can also be chosen under the
custom install option.  When you get to the package chooser screen, just
mark the box to install everything and let it roll.  Total size of 1.0-J is
pretty near 700 meg.

I wish I could help more, but I'm still a novice at Linux.

Jonathan

a word from the sponsor: