Re: tlug: Kinput2, canna, kterm and locales

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

>     Scott> interesting, maybe your glibc wasn't compiled with the intl support... I
>     Scott> don't recall having to do anything special to libc5, though, and I don't
>     Scott> get any locale errors with it.  Something to watch out for with TurboLinux
>     Scott> 1.9beta, I suppose.
>
> Well, I just ran kterm with strace and found that its looking at:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.dir
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/C/XLC_LOCALE
> /usr/share/locale/locale.alias
>
> Then it warns:
>
> Warning: locale not supported by...
>
> Then continues on looking for various ja locales under
> /usr/share/locale/, such as:
>
> /usr/share/locale/ja_JP.eucJP/LC_CTYPE
>
> and finally ends with a message:
>
> Couldn\'t set locale: ja_JP.eucJP
>
> Do you have under and ja* under /usr/share/locale or
> /usr/share/i18n/locales ? I have many non-japanese ones, but nothing
> with ja...

Well, for TurboLinux we usually use ja_JP.ujis, so
/usr/share/locale/ja_JP.ujis is the directory that we make.  Try making
that and see if it helps... although if it's not there now, then there's
no japanese language support files installed in /usr/share/locale at all
(ie, each app needs a message catalog file in there or it won't show up in
Japanese, assuming it's using gettext routines.. at least, that's how I
understand it).

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: