Re: tlug: Volunteer Needed: domain coordinator

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> Why does our ISP have to register it?  Maybe I'm unclear as to how JPNIC
> works - in the USA, anyone can register a domain and then have it hosted
> by any ISP they want to...
>
> Anyway, how do we have our ISP do that?  Cliff's out of town til the 6th,

Hi, I said ISP when I should have said JPNIC member.  In the U.S.
any individual can register as the primary DNS with NIC.  This
is cool and it is power for the people.  In Japan you can't do
this.  Only members of JPNIC can do this.  If you have complaints
about the way it is, refer the complaints to JPNIC.  I had nothing
to do with that regulation.  :-)   To the best of my knowledge they
haven't changed it, though it is possible that it has been changed.

An individual can register the domain, but they can't register as
the primary DNS.

Let's review the fees.

  NIC year 1 and 2:  USD 100 for 2 years
      year 3 and on:  USD 50 per year for maintenance

  JPNIC year 1: 10,000 yen for registration (cheaper for JPNIC members)
                10,000 yen for maintenance
        year 2 and on: 10,000 yen for maintenance

> Second question - will the TLUG server be handling its own name service
> for the domain, or will I be doing DNS for it from PHT's nameserver?

I vote for TLUG to have its own primary DNS.  This allows TLUG members
greater freedom in slicing up the domain.

 ----

Even if we ran the existing PHT DNS as the primary DNS for the TLUG
domain, every person in the world accessing the server would have to
set the PHT DNS as their primary DNS.  I think it is much better to
register the domain with the JPNIC nameserver, so the domain is
propagated to the rest of the Internet.

Regards,
Craig

---
craig@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: