Re: tlug: Volunteer Needed: domain coordinator

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Craig Oda wrote:

> Hi,
> it's starting to look like we're going to need a volunteer to
> handle the domain registration.  This process is actually pretty
> easy.  However, it is all in Japanese if we use JPNIC.
>
> The responsibilities as I see them are:
>
>   1) coordinate with Scott, John, or someone else to get primary DNS
>      set up on the TLUG server with tlug.ml.org.  Or, tackle it yourself
>      if you want to.  However, the skills we're looking for are more
>      people administration and the ability to read Japanese and English.
>      If you're not comfortable with the technology, it is daijyobu.

Why does our ISP have to register it?  Maybe I'm unclear as to how JPNIC
works - in the USA, anyone can register a domain and then have it hosted
by any ISP they want to...

Anyway, how do we have our ISP do that?  Cliff's out of town til the 6th,
so we'd have to wait til he gets back before we can actually do it.  We
can get the server set up over here at any time, though, if we can track
down a system to run it on.  The main limiting factor now is disk space -
we'll want at least 1 gig, I would think, hopefully more.

Second question - will the TLUG server be handling its own name service
for the domain, or will I be doing DNS for it from PHT's nameserver?

>   5) arrange with Scott to get their ISP to register the new TLUG
>      domain in the JPNIC registry and arrange payment to PHT if required.
>
>   6) that's it.  Sit back and relax.
>

> If problems occur with any step, you can send them to me and I can
> take care of them.
>

> Regards,
> Craig
>

> ---
> craig@example.com

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.