tlug: Re: tlug-digest V1 #781

> A good way of getting used to sendmail is setting up a small
> network of at least 2 computers (take some old boxes and install
> Linux or FreeBSD on them - the latter if you happen to get
> PC98xx boxes - I don't know how far Linux support for them did
> already proceed), and link them using ethernet, plip or ppp.
> Then play with that. It is very instructive and prevents you
> from putting trash onto the Internet (Actually, that's what I do

I do have two machines hooked together with ethernet right
now.  One is running Linux,and the other Windows 95-J (to be
NT Workstation-J whenever I can get around to installing
it).  However, they are both also directly connected to the
Internet.

What I need to do here is basically get the Linux box to act
as an SMTP server for the Windows box (and to send mail from
itself, as well, of course).  What brings me to this is that
while my machines are plugged in, the only SMTP server I
have access to from here is the one at Geocities, where I
maintain my personal e-mail.   Trouble is, they are going to
do what we and most other ISPs already do: shut off their
SMTP servers to outside access in a few weeks.

So where that leaves me (unless I can convince our network
operations people to set up some kind of work-around for me)
is with a POP server but not an SMTP server in the
not-too-distant future.  And catching a bit of the Linux
spirit, I started thinking that the best way to deal with
this might be to just provide my *own* SMTP server.

So what I want the Linux machine to do is accept e-mail from
the Windows machine and send it out, and of course also act
as the SMTP server for Netscape Mail and any other mail
client that I might play around with on the Linux box.  But
of course, not send mail that comes from anywhere other than
itself or my Windows machine.  These computers are not and
will not be on our DNS system, if that makes any
difference.  They each know their own host name, but are
known to the outside world only by IP address.

I'll take a look at the URL you posted and see what kind of
info I can scare up there, and of course, any details that
anybody wants to throw out here on how to (hopefully easily)
do this are most welcome.

If I put in Q-mail (is there an .rpm available?), what
happens to sendmail?

Thanks!

Jonathan
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18l talking on source code
a word from the sponsor: