Re: tlug: W95 and Linux

Scott Stone writes:
 > On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Domenico Carlucci wrote:
 >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I have the following problem:
 > >
 > > I would like to install on the same HD (3G) W95 japanese,
 > > W95 english and Linux.
 > >
 > > I created a primary partition (hda1) for W95J and
 > > a primary (root) partition (hda2) for Linux.
 > > I left a part of the extended Dos partition
 > > for the W95 english version, that I cannot install
 > > without overwriting the Windows file on hda1.
 > >
 > > On the other hand, fdisk (DOS) doesn't allow me to create
 > > another primary partition for W95 E.
 > >
 > > How can I install the three systems?

You could change the partition ID of the first win95 you install using
Linux fdisk. Then install the second win95. But you would have to change
the ID every time you want to boot another win95. The easiest way is to use
two HDD. Install the the first win95, change its ID, install the second on
the second HDD (works if you have a BIOS that allows booting from second
drive). Then you can change back the ID of the first one.
I did it with win95e on my ide HDD  and win95j on my scsi jaz drive.
You have to change the ID otherwise win95 will destroy the bootsector of the
other FAT partitions. Win95 also overwrites the MBR, so you have to install
LILO again (better make a LINUX boot disk).

Hope that helps a little.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics
Toho University
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, Chiba 274
Japan

e-mail : mocm@example.com
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: