tlug: Re: TLUG & Netscape i18n

This looks great, a transparency projector will work fine.  I can print
out slides before I leave. (Since they're just HTML pages, I'll also
post them and mail out the url.)

I think the talk will be something along the lines of evangelism -
encouranging non-English speakers to get involved and organized,
processe & resources - how the whole source submission thing is going to
work and what resources are available, and planning - where is
communicator week in language support and what the i18n group here
thinks is the direction the source base ought to move in.

My biggest goal is to evangelize the whole free source thing, and
particularly get non-US developers involved and active participants.  I
would hope that we could work together to start a core of i18n-type
developers who are large enough to have lobbying power with the mainters
of the source base, without this I have a big concern that the browser
is going to take a big step backwards as far as i18n support.  In the
US, there are already groups organizing themselves around platforms and
areas of functionality.  I think we should try to get non-US developers
mobilized around supporting and developing functionality to make the
browser work well with languages other than english.

I would hope that anyone who is interested - even if they don't program
- would show up.

/t

Craig Oda wrote:

> Tague,
> we're scheduling the April Tokyo LUG meeting on April 11, 1998,
> Saturday.
>
> If it is okay with you, we'll start the official Netscape i18n
> section at 14:30, 30 minutes after the start of the
> meeting.  If you are free for lunch, let's meet at
> 12:30 at Tokyo station, Yaesu central ticket gate.  (I'll
> give you a mobile phone number before you come, so you'll
> be guaranteed to find us.)
>
> We can have a transparency projector.  We don't have a computer
> to projector adapter right now, but may be able to borrow
> one before that day.  We do have many computers with Netscape
> on it for you to use.  They all run Linux.  An informal talk
> would be great.
>
> Should I assume that you would like to talk to developers that
> are familar with multilingual issues of programming?  We have
> some knowledge of that and some knowledge related to Japanese
> specific issues.  If you really want to get into the coding
> issues, I can help organize some of the discussion through
> agenda templates and pre-planning with some of the programmers.
> For example, did you want to talk about Japanese input, unicode,
> Japanese encoding detection?   We could also make a list of
> known issues with Netscape Navigator/Communicator and some
> strategies to resolve the issues.
>
> Keep us informed and we'll try to make the meeting as productive
> as possible.
>
> Also, keep us informed as to your equipment requirements.  For
> example, if you want that projector, we may be able to find
> one.
>
> Regards,
> Craig
>
> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Tague Griffith wrote:
>
> > I don't know how much of a presentation it will be, what I'm more
> > interested in is trying to set up a working relationship between my
> > group (Netscape i18n) and yours.  I'll probably have a few slides with
> > information about the source release, some pointers from our group, and
> > a few suggestions as far as the direction we think some of the i18n
> > features should be moving.  I think mostly it will just be an informal
> > talk so that we can all get to know each other and I can answer
> > questions.  Hopefully though, you could arrange to have some machine
> > with navigator installed to view the slides.
>
> ---
> craig@example.com
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: