tlug: Re: TLUG & Netscape i18n

Craig & TLUG crew :-

The Netscape source release is still scheduled for the end of March -
which is about a week before I'm in Tokyo, so it will be a pretty good
time to talk.  The source distribution will be large, I'm not sure of an
exact size, but to give you a rough estimate, it currently takes about
45 minutes to pull the entire source tree on a Solaris Ultra via CVS.
The codebase is large and complex - so it will really take people a
while to get their heads around it.

Additionally, there are a few upcomming events prior to the source
release that might be interesting. The licensing agreement for the
source will be beta-ed on the net soon.  In case you may not have heard,
we are developing our own source license - it won't be the GPL but it
will be something similar.  If you check on
http://developer.netscape.com/

Currently, Navigator is building with Motif 1.2 under Linux - which we
have a source license for.  Some of the Unix development teams have been
investigating moving to Redhat Motif 2.x which they say works well.  I'd
also imagine that a port to the athena widget set will happen once the
sources are released.

I don't know how much of a presentation it will be, what I'm more
interested in is trying to set up a working relationship between my
group (Netscape i18n) and yours.  I'll probably have a few slides with
information about the source release, some pointers from our group, and
a few suggestions as far as the direction we think some of the i18n
features should be moving.  I think mostly it will just be an informal
talk so that we can all get to know each other and I can answer
questions.  Hopefully though, you could arrange to have some machine
with navigator installed to view the slides.

Craig Oda wrote:

> Tague,
> sounds like good timing.  We usually meet around 12:30 at Tokyo
> JR station, eat lunch, then walk a few minutes to a member's office.
> So, it would be ideal if you could join us for lunch, then
> have the presentation from 14:30 on Saturday, April 11th.
>
> Does this meet with your schedule?
>
> BTW, is the source code release of Netscape Navigator
> still scheduled for end of March?  If so, a few members
> may want to review the source before hearing your presentation
> and chatting with you.  Everyone is very nice, just curious.
> You know how it is in these types of volunteer user groups.
> I think you will have a good time.   How big is  the source
> distribution?  I was kind of wondering what Motif distribution
> they are built against. As you know, there is a problem with
> Japanese input under Linux and some of the members are interested
> in perhaps helping out.  The problem is mainly with the
> Text areas, not input boxes.
>
> Regards,
> Craig
>
> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Tague Griffith wrote:
>
> tague>Hi Craig :-
> tague>
> tague>Tentatively, I'll be in Tokyo from Tuesday April 7th through Saturday
> tague>April 11th (leaving Sunday).  April 8, 9, 10 is the Unicode Conference -
> tague>which is why I'll be in Tokyo - so probably Saturday the 11th is the
> tague>best day to schedules this for.  I may have to schedule it for a week
> tague>day - but let's go with the 11th for now.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: