tlug: Re: Corega NICs

From: Christopher Sekiya <wileyc@example.com>
>Subject: Re: tlug: Corega ethernet cards

>I'm using the Corega PCMCIA adapter in my laptop.  It's a NE2000 clone, so
>I'd assume that the ISA and PCI versions also look like an NE2000 to the
>kernel.

I tracked down their web site today and found some info in Japanese on
setting it up for Linux.  I have to take it out of PNP mode and stuff, and
then, as you thought, it should look like an NE2000 to the system.  After
all their talk about Linux that I saw on the in-store display, there isn't
one single bit of documentation for that on the floppy or in the manual that
it comes with.  Lotsa talk, no walk.

My Windows machine, which sits rights next to my Linux box, has a 3C509 in
it, so I might just do a card transplant instead, since the Corega disk does
have drivers for 95 and NT on it.

The path of least resistance, I know :-)

>Caveat: the Corega is apparently slightly broken.  With the 2.1 series
>kernel, the driver frequently complains that the transmit buffer pointer
>mysteriously changed.  This results in dropped packets, but thus far no
>data loss.

Do you know if it does this under Windows 95 and NT 4.0 as well, or does
this "Linux compatible" card just cause trouble on Linux systems?  If that's
the case, I think swapping cards will be the way to go.

Thanks to everybody who responded to this post.

Jonathan

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.