tlug: HP Color DeskJet 850

OK, I broke down and went to bonk.ethz.ch and got the driver and built
it with the latest Ghostscript beta and it is a BIG BIG win over the
cdj5* family of drivers, as well as over the uniprint driver, for that
printer.

It was NOT an easy build but I don't know if that's beta-related or if
it's a bug in the Ghostscript build process or what.  It's not related
to the driver.  It may be related to trying to build with shared
libraries; I don't recommend that unless you know what you're doing.

If you've got one of these beasts I recommend going to bonk.ethz.ch in
the ghostscript-drivers-dist directory or somesuch, get the hp850.zip
file.

Go to ftp.cs.wisc.edu, cd ghost/aladdin, and get the latest
ghsotscript sources.  Sorry, dunno what that looks like, it's probably
5.10 though.  If you don't have *sources* for recent jpeg, zlib, and
libpng, get them there.  Shared libs are *not* sufficient.

To build ghostscript, unpack the distribution and edit the
unix-gcc.mak file.

(1) Check that it ends in a bunch of include directives.  If not,
you're going to need to follow a slightly different process which I
can't be specific about offhand.  (In particular, you probably need to
edit gcc-head.mak instead of unix-gcc.mak, and then do a tar_cat to
recreate the makefiles.)

(2) You need the sources for jpeg-6a, libz-1.0.4, and libpng-0.96 or
so.  You can unpack them where convenient, and you don't need to build
them.  Make links to them in the Ghostscript source directory.  Check
the Ghostscript makefile to see what the expected names are.

(3) in the ghostscript source directory, unpack the hp805.zip file.
Use the -a option to autoconvert the CRLFs to NL.  If you don't, cpp
will barf on the continued macro definitions.  You can also use sed or
whatever your favorite DOS-fumigation device is.

(4) Edit the varaible assignment to DEVICES_DEVS4 to include
"cdj850.dev".

(5) You need to edit the XLIBDIRS variable, probably to point to
/usr/X11R6/lib.  /usr/lib/X11 will probably do as well.

(6) You probably want to edit the gs_datadir definition to include
wherever your gs fonts are installed.  You can also use the GS_LIB
variable for that.

Do a `make -f unix-gcc.mak' then `make -f unix-gcc.mak install' if you
want.  And now you can use -sDEVICE=cdj850 in your Ghostscript command
line.

Enjoy.

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: