tlug: memory size strangeness(?)

Ok... I'm sure there must be a reasonable explanation of
this:  I've now got two Debian boxes of different types
(an AST 486 desktop and a Toshiba 486 Dynabook), both of
which have exactly the same amount of RAM (10MB).  When
I do the "free" command on either one, it tells me that
the total memory in the system is 8508K.  Why do I seem
to be missing 1.5 MB here?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.