Re: tlug: inittab question + Caldera

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Marc E. Christensen wrote:

> One thing I have noticed is that some of the global configuration files
> are not being read in the shell that X starts up in.  All are read in any
> xterms that are started.  This causes some problems with paths not being
> set ...

  This is more important than I realized when I first read it.  I had just
launched into O'Reilly's _X Window System Administrator's Guide_ (better
late than never) and found this in the section on the differences between
.xinitrc and .xsession:

	"The .xsession does not inherit the user's login shell
	environment. The .xinitrc script inherits the environment from
	the shell from which it was run."

  I realized that between this and your posting, Marc, I had the solution
to the odd problem I had noticed of some programs not launching anymore
from the pop-up menus in 'fvwm'.  It was baffling me, since 'echo $PATH'
in an xterm would report the expected paths.  Why on earth were the pop-up
menus suddenly broken?

  Sticking a "source ~/.bash_profile" line into my ~/.xsession does the
trick of making these pop-up menus work again.

  Thanks for the tip,

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: