Re: tlug: inittab question + Caldera

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> On 15-Jan-98 Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> >  [ 4. Optionally put a line like this:
> >           xv  -root -quit ~denismcm/wallpaper/newfoundation.jpg
> >     in the /var/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xsetup_0 file to colour up the
> >     login window background.]

Just another note,  I installed the xdm3d_xpm from the redhat/contrib/i386
directory.  It looks a lot better than the standard xdm.  It also allows
for a pixmap logo to be displayed.

One thing I have noticed is that some of the global configuration files
are not being read in the shell that X starts up in.  All are read in any
xterms that are started.  This causes some problems with paths not being
set so some buttons and menus in AfterStep (or any WM) stop working.

The solution was to add the following lines to the top of the
/etc/X11/xdm3d_xpm/Xsession file:

. /etc/bashrc
. /etc/profile

which, of course, sources the global bash shell init files.

Problem solved.

Next, I noticed that xsetroot is being run from
/etc/X11/xdm3d_xpm/Xsetup_0 and since it is just another x pgorgram, why
not change it to something like "xlock -inroot -mode random &" which would
display a cool xlock animation on the root of the xdm login screen.  Well
this works great but since xlock is being run in the background, it still
is running when a user loggs in.  Fairly annoying to have something always
running on your root window.  So I thought that a 'killall xlock' placed
in /etc/X11/xdm3d_xpm/Xsession (which is run each time a user loggs in)
would solve the problem.  Well, it would if xlock were being run by the
user who has just logged in but it's being run by root.

So can anyone think of a way to stop the animation without having to do
hacking with 'sudo' etc.  I would like to mimimise security holes so if
anyone can think of a reason not to use xlock with xdm let me know.  I am
not using it now because I have to solve the animation problem first...

By the way, I am glad to hear that TLUG is going so well.  I had a great
time in Tokyo this past summer with all of you!  Craig, nice article in LJ
this month...

I hope to be able to get over to Japan again soon.  It was nice to brush
up on my nihongo...

	C ya l8tr

--
Marc Christensen	       |  Check out the linux-access pages.
SysOp CDSS University of Utah  |  linux-access - Making a difference!

Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: