RE: tlug: inittab question + Caldera

    >> Copying any one of the xinitrc.* to xinitrc will bring up the
    >> corresponding w-manager, but I don't see how we get the
    >> personal ~/.xinitrc files read.  Any further ideas?

    Rob> If you boot to X directly, the file that your system will
    Rob> look for is called .xsession, not .xinitrc.  Probably there
    Rob> is a setting somewhere where you could change it to look for

I'm sure there is; `man xdm' should tell.

    Rob> .xinitrc, but as a default for all systems as far as I know,
    Rob> your system will look for /home/username/.xsession and if it
    Rob> doesn't exist, will use a default file somewhere else.  It
    Rob> will in fact ignore .xinitrc.

I seem to recall that there are a few semantic differences between
.xinitrc and .xsession, but you can probably ignore them.  Take a look
in the /usr/lib/X11 configuration areas; you'll probably find symlinks

			 xinitrc -> xsession

If not but both exist, take a look at them side-by-side and see if
there are features of one that the other could use.  Merge them into a
single file, and symlink the other to it.  BACK UP THE CURRENT STATE
OF THE FILES FIRST and make sure you know how to boot to normal mode
or single-user mode in case you hose Xdm completely :-)

Do the same in your home directory with .xinitrc -> .xsession and
.Xdefaults -> .Xresources.  Having done this, you should see no
difference between a session started from Xdm and a session started
with startx.  (Famous last words....)

Oh, one more complication:  modern window managers, especially fvwm,
encourage you to let the WM do most of the configuration and lauch
most of the startup apps.  Don't forget to look around and unify/
rationalize your WM .rc files.  There are probably some in
/usr/lib/X11/fvwm or /etc/X11/fvwm for example.

The ONLY saving grace of this whole dance is that the files don't come
with the .INI extension....

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: