Re: tlug: Mule-begotten problems for Emacs and Gnus

Stephen,

Thanks for your extremely detailed and thorough response! I also
received a lengthy response today from Erik Naggum. I need to spend
several days (at least) going over these (and the responses from the
ding list) before I can ask even half-intelligent questions.

I'm determined to try to understand this issue -- the negative impact
of Mule on Emacs -- before my article on Mule is finalized.

I'm not quoting or paraphrasing anyone's email, to the list, or to me
personally, without their permission.

Once again, I greatly appreciate your help and the time and energy it took
to write that last message!

More questions after I've had time to assimilate some of what I've received.

Jon

Jon Babcock
jon@example.com

PS I've been following comp.emacs, but only recently after a long
hiatus. I also subscribe to the Unicode list and have been following
that development for several years. Generally, I agree with your
assessment of the role of Unicode. My immediate point was that, as a
user, it would be nice to be able to read in and write out Unicode-
encoded files from Emacs 20.x. For example, I could use Bitstream's
free Cyberbit TT font in conjunction with CJK-TeX for mule generated
multi-scriptual files that are intended as preliminary printouts of
what will eventually be camera-ready copy for photo offset
printing. More on that later, too. At present, I am learning to use
CJK-TeK with the free fonts I use for Mule which of course don't scale
as nicely as the TT font, although Cyberbit is not a totally finished
product yet, imo; maybe that's one reason it's free for non-commerical
use.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: