tlug: Re: CD-R, system advice

> I'm working on a dictionary and would like to be able to put it on
> CD ROM (text, sound and images), so I will get a CD ROM burner (the
> write-once kind). So I need to get something that is compatible with
> that.  I seem to remember someone talking about CD ROM burners here
> lately.

If you want to check out the Yamaha CDR400t and you don't mind waiting,
you can test one using Xcdroast at the next TLUG meeting on Feburary 14.

> I will be running Debian Linux, and the first system will be a dual-boot
> with Windows NT (not my decision; I won't be using NT).

There has been a discussion about getting NT4 to boot directly with lilo
on the RedHat mailing list.  Two people who reported success were using
the Win95 boot manager to boot NT.  NT was reported to use part of the
boot sector that some versions of lilo expected to be free, causing an NT
load failure after lilo was installed. Using the Win95 loader avoided this
problem.

Install path:  1) Win95 2) Linux 3) NT on top of Win95.

Cheers,

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: