tlug: Yudit 0.94

HI,
I have released Yudit 0.94 - you can get it from sunsite or
from my www page at

     http://www2.gol.com/users/gsinai/yudit-0.94.tar.gz

On the previous tlug meetings I could not demostrate anything
maily because redhat-5.0 broke many things. Event qt did not
work. This saturday Joe Marchak gave me some machine time on
a pentium running RH 5.0 and behold: it works.

Some advice:
o go to RH errata page to get some upgrades - mainly dl.so.
o if you miss the previous point compile everything from source,
  including Qt.
o it may not work with motif (lesstif).

Here is the announcement:

Yudit Release 0.94
==================

Yudit is a Unicode Text Editor / Text converter package for Linux.
The Editor Part can be compiled for X11 with Motif or KDE or Qt
widget libraries.

Main Features:
=============
o converters for
  UTF8, UTF7, ISO8859-?, KOI-R, JIS, EUC-JP, SJIS, KSC-5601, EUC-KR,
  GB-2312, HZ, BIG-5, COMPUND_TEXT (JA) and MS-TXT (Notepad)
o True Type Font Support
o Printing Support with True Type fonts on postscript printers
o X11 rendering can be done with a mixture of unregistered or registered
  X11 fonts
o Addin-in keymaps for local character input. It comes with the following
  keymaps:
  Unicode, Hungarian (German), Russian Greek Katakana and Hiragana
o Kinput2 front-end support for more complicated input (Japanese)
o Drag and drop support (KDE only)
o on-line help

Bug Fixes Since 0.9
===================
o adding Kinput to Qt and KDE versions. Now they are the same as Motif
  version in terms of functionality
o postscript bug fixed
o HZ newline escape recognized
o Microsoft txt format support for Notepad and Word (real ugly)
o config file checking bug fixed
o UCS2LE UCS2BE cleaned up

Screenshot
==========
A gif image of myudit (Motif) and kyudit (KDE) can be seen for a limited
period of time at

      http://www2.gol.com/users/gsinai/myudit.gif
      http://www2.gol.com/users/gsinai/kyudit.gif

Location
========
The package is distributed under the GNU Public Licence and can be
downloaded from

     ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/editors/X

once it found its way from the Incoming  directory.
I plan to upload rpm source and packages to:

     ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib

Because of incompatibility problems between libraries I will not
upload any binary package this time. If you have myudit binary
package you should uninstall it before installing this one.

Note that the rpm package by default may not build with
the freetype package. You need the source distribution (tgz) to
compile with Free Type. Missing Free Type support does not affect
printing with True Type fonts.

Even without the staticallly linked Motif binary package, a full
version can be run from 0.94 because now all GUIs are in sync
and Qt is freely available.

Have fun,
gaspar

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: