tlug: Re: IPC Install

%
% Well, I have connected a Toshiba CD-ROM drive, configured it as
% SCSI ID6, and typed boot cdrom to the "ok" prompt (I need to type
% "n" to get it).  Boot sequence starts.  Now, unfortunately, the
% sequence stops half way.
%
% I also tried floppy boot, but it also fails after some screenful of
% message by clearing the screen and (seems) hangs.
%

Ken,

   The CD-ROM drive you have is probably set up for the wrong number
   of bytes/sector to be bootable from the Sun (which needs 512b/s).
   You're on the right track with the floppy boot, though. Just make sure
   you boot with the "serial" argument to let the system know you
   don't have a monitor and keyboard. Something like:-

		ok   boot floppy linux serial

   Should work (but make sure you have the 4.2 floppy image... there were
   major problems with the older 4.0 & 4.1 release floppies).

   This serial information is documented at:-

   http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/\
			RHL-4.2-Users-Guide-HTML/manual/doc031.html#s4.5

   With the SPARC install guide at:-

   http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/\
			RHL-4.2-Users-Guide-HTML/manual/doc026.html#s4

   Red Hat have done a fairly thorough job of documenting all of their
   releases and I'd recommend anyone attempting a SPARC install to read
   their install manual before starting. Their document reference page
   at:-
		http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/

   ...also contains pointers to errata and other essential information.

   Ganbatte, SPARC no minasama!  :-)

				-John-

TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: