mounting filesystems [was Re: tlug: Re: Why is Turbo Linux worth \30,000]

Jonathan,
I would need more information, before I could make any comments.
Do you mean that you completed the install and after you installed
it, you can't mount your floppy or CD-ROM?  Or, do you mean
that you can't do the install because you can't mount your
floppy or CD-ROM?  You must be root, not a normal user.

As root, check the permissions of /dev/fd0, does it look like:

 cow:/disks/sda3/craig/tlug$ ls -l /dev/fd0
 brw-rw----   1 root     floppy     2,   0 Apr  4  1997 /dev/fd0

Are you using a known working ext2 or msdos filesystem on the
floppy, using standard 1.44 mb?

Assuming ext2, that you know works,

  # mount /dev/fd0 -t ext2 /mnt

Do you have the /mnt directory and is it open?

For /dev/cdrom, make sure there is a symbolic link to your
physical device.  In my case, this is /dev/mcd.

Then do,

  # mount /dev/cdrom -rt iso9660 /cdrom

assuming you have a directory off of root called /cdrom

The -r specifies read-only filesystem.  -t is type.  iso9660
is the standard type for CD-ROMs.

 do a

 # df

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Speaking of which, my installation of the above will recognize neither my
> CD-ROM drive nor my floppy.  Doing an ls on either of them lists no files
> just . and .. and if you try to mount either, it says the device is either
> busy or already mounted.  If you try to unmount it, it says the device
> isn't mounted.  If anybody can help me with this, I'd much appreciate it.
> Please give me very basic, step-by-step instructions; I'm new to both Linux
> and Unix in general, so I really don't know what to do.  Plunging in at the
> deep end, my first experience with Unix was installing Linux.  Help!  :-)

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

TLUG Meeting: To be announced