tlug: Re: Why is Turbo Linux worth \30,000

Somebody recently asked in TLUG digest "What makes Pacific HiTech's Turbo
Linux worth \30,000?" First, let me say you shouldn't pay that much.  It's
available for about \22,000 in Akihabara.  Also that is the price for the
Pro version , not the standard version, which is \3680 at Laox.

As for why it costs that much, the Pro version comes with a full version of
dp/Note, the Japanese word processor for Linux, a full version of WNN6, and
Netscape Communicator 4.03 for Linux.

By comparison, the standard version has 10 minute trial versions of dp/Note
and WNN6, and no Netscape.

Warning; the Japanese install program is apparently incompatible with NV1
chipsets, so if your video card as one (Diamond Edge 3D is one), you will
get nothing but screen garbage from it, looking a lot like a stained glass
window dropped on a white floor.  The English boot disc will work with the
Japanese version CD, although, you'll see mojibake in some places.

Speaking of which, my installation of the above will recognize neither my
CD-ROM drive nor my floppy.  Doing an ls on either of them lists no files
just . and .. and if you try to mount either, it says the device is either
busy or already mounted.  If you try to unmount it, it says the device
isn't mounted.  If anybody can help me with this, I'd much appreciate it.
Please give me very basic, step-by-step instructions; I'm new to both Linux
and Unix in general, so I really don't know what to do.  Plunging in at the
deep end, my first experience with Unix was installing Linux.  Help!  :-)

Thanks!

Jonathan
TLUG Meeting: To be announced