tlug: Removing Sound Support

    Alan> As I said earlier, I have just installed the RedHat Linux
    Alan> 5.0 distribution.  I'm not happy with the sound
    Alan> configuration and want to remove all sound files.  However,
    Alan> when I do I continually get errors. Can anyone tell me how
    Alan> to remove something from the kernel?  Thanks,

I don't have RedHat system handy, so I forget where they keep this
stuff.  But there's probably a modules or modules.conf file (in /etc,
/lib, /etc/sysconfig, or someplace like that with a list of modules to
load).  You can always just mv the offending module out of
/lib/modules/<version>/<subdir>/sound.o or whatever it is; that will
give you "Not found" errors on startup.

If you don't find some sort of sound module in there (the name may be
system dependent), it's probably built in to the kernel and you'd have
to do a kernel re-config-and-build to get rid of it.

HTH
TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: