RE: tlug: X Windows client

>    Michael> but I think the trend is moving more towards M$ Windows
>    Michael> as can be seen with the amount of software available for
>    Michael> Windows platform compared to the Linux/X-Windows
>    Michael> platform... :(
>
>What do you mean by "amount of software"?  What classes of apps on
>MS-Windows don't have substitutes (perhaps currently of inferior
>quality) on Linux?

Ok.. I guess I shouldn't do the M$ praising here, but what I meant was that
if I want to send a word processing document file to someone in general, I
normally will not send to them a Linux or UNIX format of the file... ex.  I
want to send my friend a file of a document I just created... I could send
it in PS, but since I know my friend is using M$ Word, I will send him a M$
Word formatted document... This is, of course, assuming that most of my
friends are on a Windows or Mac platform though...

>Most vendors I know of now make Linux versions of their software
>(although I had to spend a few days of email conversation to get the
>install program for the aforementioned package to work; they usually
>don't do very much checking to make sure it actually _works_ on Linux
>once they get it to compile :-( ).  But they're not going to mention
>that in their TV spots---that would chase away the lu$er$.

hmmm.. can u send me a list?  I would be interested in tyring out some
software...

>Sure there's lots of junkware available for Windows, and Windows or
>OS/2 was the platform of choice for low-end CAD last I heard.  Windows
>is obviously the platform of choice for content-based CD-ROM stuff
>(electronic books, games and the like)---I don't think Nintendo would
>make a lot of money on a game that could be downloaded over the net
>from Linux server.  But we'll see ways around that in the near future
>I expect.

Yes, I believe they are working on a P/S emulator so that you can run P/S
CDs off of a computer...

But anyways... what I mean I guess from everything is that for standard use,
I normally use M$ Windows as my platform of choice... not b/c it is superior
in any way, but for my intents and purposes, it is the most practical... I
play around with Linux more as a toy and to keep up my home network.. (since
NT Server is a bit too much to use for one user) and is why I find it a bit
steep to pay 100,000 yen for one user.. :D

Mikio aka Michael

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: