tlug: PPP thanks

    Michael> 2) I have pinged numerically and by name, both outside of
    Michael> the network, and to my IP address, and none of these have
    Michael> worked.

Um.  Can you ping 127.0.0.1/localhost?

send us your resolv.conf and the output from route -n after the PPP
connects.  If you were having a PAP/CHAP problem, you should not be
getting a PPP connection listed in the output from ifconfig.

    Michael> 3) My etc/resolv.conf has the name of my domain and
    Michael> nameserver of my ISP...  one question though... does
    Michael> anyone know if I should use "tky0.attnet.or.jp" or
    Michael> "attnet.or.jp"?

The nameserver should be numeric IP.  Otherwise you need the
nameserver to find the nameserver.  Oops.  (I think there's a way
around that but if you can't find it for yourself, better to do it
right inthe first place. ;-)  resolv.conf doesn't have a domain name
in it; I suppose you're referring to the "search" path?  These are
simply the default names to tack on the end and retry if the first try
doesn't work.   Ie, if `foo' doesn't get resolved, the resolver tries
`foo.attnet.or.jp' next.  this is useful if you want to refer to
www.attnet.or.jp as simply "www"; however in principle you could put
"twics.com" in there and "www" should get resolved to "www.twics.com".

    Michael> 4) I will try these suggestions once again tonight when I
    Michael> get home... what I am trying to do eventually is to get
    Michael> IP Masquerading and DialD setup on my home LAN, so
    Michael> hopefully, someone might be able to help when that time
    Michael> comes... but for now, I just want to get my PPP up and
    Michael> running...

I found IP masquerading easy, but frustrating, since the things I
wanted from it were not available (particularly X).  Firewalling isn't
too tough; depending on your ISP's policies, you may or may not be
able to set up a private network using proxy ARP.
TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: