tlug: Japanese input systems

Hi,
I'm trying to isolate areas where my knowledge of Japanese
input systems is weak so that I can prove to Rob and Stephen
that they should be teaching me the mystic ways.  :-)

My understanding of this is weak and I'm looking for people
to say, "Hey, that's wrong.  This is how it is."

Layer 1 - Software: Front End Processor (FEP)
   includes: uum, canuum, kinput2, skk, xwnmo,
             embedded FEPs in mule, vi, etc

Layer 2 - Protocol: kinput2, xim, others?

Layer 3 - Software: Kana Kanji Conversion Server
    jserver, cannaserver, sj3server

Layer 4 - Protocol: Kana-Kanji Transport Protocol (KKTP)

Layer 5 - Data: Dictionaries

         ------------
Comments and corrections are most welcome.

         ----------------

Example Tracing Signal of kinput2, xim, cannaserver, kterm, and
    vi.

 Application: vi  user presses shift-space in kterm to
      v             start kinput2
 FEP: kinput2     user inputs "watashi" in romaji
      v             kinput2 converts to hiragana
 Protocol: KKTP    kinput2 sends hiragana codes to conversion
      v             server using KKTP
 Conversion
 cannaserver:     cannaserver accepts hiragana, accesses
      v             data, and performs lookup
 Dictionary
 cannaserver:     cannaserver finds multiple matches
      v            私 渡し
 protocol KKTP:    cannaserver uses KKTP protocol to send
      v            choices to FEP
 FEP kinput2:     FEP displays choices for user along with
      v            わたし and ワタシ
 Protocol: xim    kinput2 uses xim protocol to send user selected
      v            kanji to the vi application
 application vi:  character encoding sits in vi and is displayed
                   using X fonts.

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out