tlug: Started installing RedHat...

Hello,

I started yesterday installing Red Hat, booting directly from the
CD-ROM. partitioning with fips went just wonderful. But RedHat
installation...mama.

I have two primary partitions of DOS, and four linux partitions (/,
/home,
/usr and swap) created on a extended partition as primary partitions (is
this correct?). It took me a long time (three or four four bootings)
till the installation programm understood I wanted to mount all the
partitions.

Still, I cannot mount the latter DOS partition. Suggestions?

RedHat installation remembers too much Slackware installation. I think I
gonna miss debian's dpckg, dselect, and the its menu. I have the ffeling
I was able to startRedHat by chance, where as with debian, you have the
feeling that it works because it has to do!

I have done the installation but not the customization...since I have no
printed documentation, could someone suggest me the steps I should
follow to...

1) connect to Internet as soon as possible. (provider matters
momentarily solved).

2) start running X-window (the tough part is that the technical matters
of the computer are in japanese :-)))

3) make an intelligent use of the software that comes in the RedHat
distribution that John kindly give to me...

You all can be frightened, this is just the first e-mail from a newbie
:-))

Bye,

Demian

--
**     ROMAJI WO TSUKATTE, NIHONGO DE KAITEKUDASAI.   **
* Demian L. Martos Rian~o (Yiyan Demiamoto o Demichan) *

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: