tlug: EUC-JP, iso-2022-jp, Shift-Jis

    Craig> Hi, I've done a few searches and found some information
    Craig> from http://www.ntt.co.jp/japan/note-on-JP/encoding.html

    Craig> I've also looked at Ken Lunde's book and confirmed that JIS
    Craig> is a series of 7-bit 2-byte sequences.  I also found
    Craig> reference that iso-2022-jp is sometimes referred to as
    Craig> old-jis.

    Craig> This is a bit confusing, because I think that iso-2022
    Craig> (without the jp suffix) is referred to as EUC.

You don't want to know.  Really.  But if you do want to know, after
all, you could read 「マルチリンガル環境の実現」 by Nishikimi,
Takashashi, Tomura, Handa, Kuwari, Mukogawa, and Yoshida.
Unfortunately I don't know of an English alternative (a translation
should be in the works), and AFAIK ISO standards are not available on
the 'net.

ISO-2022 is a general mechanism which is the foundation for EUC
(Japanese, Chinese, and Korean), and X11 compound text encoding.  It
is also used for a (deprecated) form of localization (eg, substituting
the yen symbol for the backslash) to national code pages.  Big-5 and
Shift-JIS are not compatible with ISO-2022, and therefore it's
unlikely that they can be used in multilingual environments with full
reliability.

ISO-2022 comes in two flavors, one which is 7-bit (and therefore is
favored for mail applications which historically have been far from
8-bit clean) and another which is 8-bit (and thus can mostly function
without shift sequences in the context of EUC).

Everything is now perfectly clear, I take it?  :-/
TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out