Re: tlug: Also Looking for

>     >> I'm looking for SIMMs for old machines, specifically for a
>     >> Sparc ELC and for a 5-year-old AMI motherboard.  I've got part
>     >> numbers, but the
>
>     Hajime> So you're looking for 72pin Fast Page Memory SIMMS with
>     Hajime> parity?  Have you tried any of the major shops in
>     Hajime> Akihabara? They usually have numbers you can call to place
>     Hajime> orders.
>
> No, I can get 72-pin fast-page.  I found one vendor who said, "those
> aren't 72-pin, they're probably 68-pin, but unless you're willing to

I've tried using 72pin parity SIMM's in an "SLC", which is like a ELC
except bus speed and I think some other minor stuff. It worked...

This page may be useful.
http://www.interwork.sdsu.edu/~jweaver/sun/

> take your server off-line so I can count 'em...".  He then said that
> his boss would get really pissed if he made "muda" by trying to get
> them for me.  All the others said "you've got to be kidding
> ... anything that prehistoric can't possibly be made anymore.  Now I
> can sell you a nice P6-233 for anshin-kakaku (that means if I sell
> one, I can retire and I'm anshin)...".  Can you spell "sagi"?

Oh dear.

> Anyway, I need somebody who deals with o-taku, not somebody who knows
> how to kiss accountant butt.
>
>     Hajime> Sometimes they don't really understand what you're talking
>     Hajime> about...
>
> You're far too generous.

Well, I used to live in the UK. They are known for understating
things...

> No, sometimes they half-way understand what I'm talking about, the
> rest of the time they have no idea.  Unfortunately it seems that it's
> against the rules for university-qualified suppliers to employ o-taku.
> (God, the two things I miss about the US are cheese and people whose
> work is also their hobby.)  Most of these guys don't seem to know the
> difference between RAM, ROM, and CD-ROM, except as it relates to their
> bottom line.

Yes unfortunately true. The only people with any information that I
know of are in Akihabara.

hajime
TLUG Thursday evening meeting: Nov. 13, 18:40 at Tokyo station
Starbuck's coffee.  Then move to dinner place at 19:00
info: demian@example.com | TLUG Saturday meeting is Dec. 13, 1997
a word from the sponsor: