tlug: Diacritical marks

    John> like.  The present problem that I face is that, although I
    John> can input, display, and print kanji, I do not know how to
    John> input, never mind display or print, diacritical marks.  I

Input:  Use Quail, x-compose.el, iso-NANTOKA.el, or XIM to get
diacriticals.  Quail first, you may have a menu item for Mule,
the Mule menu uses Quail.  The other two elisp packages I know nothing
about.  XIM is probably hairy; I mention it only because I prefer
hairy to smooth.  You sound like you have work to get done though.

More details on request; I need to know what version of Emacs,
whether it is FSFmacs or XEmacs, and what version of Mule.  Evaluate
"((concat (emacs-version) "\\n" (mule-version))" in *scratch*
(type it in and hit Ctrl-j).

Display:  Don't sweat it.  If Mule can enter it, and you have the
fonts (do "xlsfonts -fn '*-iso8859-*'", check that your flavor of
ISO-8859 is available, if it's Western European you surely have
ISO-8859-1 fonts, no problem), Mule will display it.

Printing:  Hard, since m2ps is currently pretty broken.

If you don't need kanji and diacriticals in the same document, try
just squirting it to your Postscript printer.  Most Adobe and
Ghostscript fonts, for example, can handle Latin-1 (French, German,
Sapnish, Scandinavian).

    John> have Mule working with the jserver (wnn) on Red Hat v4.2 and
    John> print using cnprint.  I use a standard (i.e., non-Japanese)
    John> keyboard.

    John> P.S.  Does anyone have a read on whether or not the Linux
    John> version of WordPerfect supports Japanese?  The recent

What, no TeX?  TeX RuleZ!
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: