Re: tlug: Admin: TLUG Bank Account Number

Stephen wrote:

> I do think that the sensible thing for gaijin accounts would be to set
> all ATM usage charges to 0 (it's much cheaper for the bank than teller
> service).  But Japanese are so used to paying through the nose for
> every little thing, that it doesn't bother them.

Two interesting things:  It is getting harder and harder to find free
ATM machines in the US (in California, at least).  I have a US bank
account with a credit union that charges nothing for ATM access, and it
used to be that I could use my ATM card at any machine in the known
universe in California without a fee.  Now there is like one or two
banks where they don't bilk me $1.50 to do anything.

 (Note:  In a really funny turn of events, one of the few zero-cost
  machines is a Japanese bank's branch office!  I think it's Sumitomo)

It's hard to believe that a bank would go from charging people nothing
to charging $1.50 a time for intra-bank ATM access, and get away with
it.  At least in Japan people were conditioned to being screwed for
these things already.

One other interesting bit is that I can withdraw cash from my US bank
account here in Japan and pay zero service charges for it, and get a
good exchange rate, too.  I'm paid in US $ so this is was a great find
for me.  (I use an ATM cash corner over in Shinjuku, but I get the same
results if I use a Citibank ATM machine).

Jason/sorry-this-has-absolutely-nothing-to-do-with-Linux
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: