Re: tlug: mail newbie question

> >> I started setting up sendmail 8.8.8
> >The "yoyoyo" release?  :-)
>
> eh?

Lame attempt at humor, the number 8 can be read 'yo' (you) in Japanese.

> schweiz:/usr/src/sendmail-8.8.8/cf/cf$ cat null.mc
> include(`../m4/cf.m4')
> OSTYPE(`linux')
> FEATURE(`nullclient',`localhost')
>
> and built the sendmail.cf with m4 null.mc > sendmail.cf

If you have a harenet.mc file (with the above contents), you should be
able to do a 'make -f Makefile.dist harenet.cf' if I remember
correctly.

For instance, I have a CYNGUSCOJP.mc in sendmail-8.8.7/cf/cf.  The
contents are

    OSTYPE(solaris2)dnl

    DOMAIN(generic)dnl
    FEATURE(local_procmail)

    define(`confAUTO_REBUILD',`True')
    define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-apparently-to')

    MAILER(local)dnl
    MAILER(smtp)dnl

All I do to get my .cf file is 'make -f Makefile.dist CYGNUSCOJP.cf'

You really need very little in my .mc file--the defaults are close to
what most Internet connected systems need.

It used to be that you had to edit .cf files by hand and write lots of
dumb rewrite rules and reinvent the whole damn thing for every site.
Now that everything in the known universe is connected to the Internet,
it's a lot less painful.

Jason
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: