Re: tlug: Oct. 11 TLUG meeting notes

    >> We're still looking for someone to donate bandwidth so we can
    >> get a permanent server up.

    Totoro> I'm a tad remote up here, but I have a more-or-less

I'm in similar situation to David; I've got a permanent connection
(modulo 3-day breaks at New Year's and other random downtime so that
you never forget to hate the University and SINET sysadmins).  I could
easily spare a couple hundred MB.  What I don't have at the moment in
time to install those MB (they're sitting on my desk) and reconfigure
the system.

Also, after never having had a (hardware) disk crash in 15 years of
owning computers, I had one in 1996 and four in 1997.  I don't know
that you want to trust me with your data given that growth rate.

    Totoro> BTW, I haven't heard any others mention it on the list,
    Totoro> but did you notice the new bandwidth to the US that came
    Totoro> online this month?

Only academic users will notice; traceroute indicates that this is an
improvement in SINET's connection, and probably does not affect WIDE,
NSPIXP, etc at all.  It unfortunately doesn't seem to help with the
!@#$% hokey-pokey that packets do at SINET gateways; I sometimes get
ping times of 300ms with 40% packet loss rate to ETL, which is
physically only 6 km away from me.
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: