tlug: preliminary meeting notes

Hi,
I didn't have too much time, to write the meeting notes.  I'll
include a brief overview below.   One thing, I apologive for
my mental block in remembering people's name.  Please send
me your full name if it is not listed.

-------------------------

  Tokyo Linux Users Group October Meeting Minutes
  Craig Oda
  October 13, 1997

  1.  Food Festivities

  Alberto Tomita, Joe Marchak, and Demian slaved away in the HSBC office
  preparing the LAN and workstations until right before the 12:30
  appointed meeting time.  We had a good showing of members.  Over a
  dozen people rambled over to a curry shop to chow down on some spicy
  delights.  At Starbucks, we met up with about three other members that
  were waiting in a different location. A big gomenasai about the mix
  up.  However, we were all really glad that these new members could
  make it.  At the meeting, there were liberal amounts of beer, oolong
  tea, and coca-cola to further fill our stomachs and lubricate our
  souls.

  2.  New Members

  There were at least 18 members present, many of them new.  I'll try to
  list some of the people that attended from memory.  I forgot the
  business cards at home.  Alberto Tomita, John Little, Joe Marchak,
  Demian, Robert Bickel, Rex Walters, Hajima Saito, Masahiro Otsuka,
  Dan, Paul Cipywnyk, Jim Tittsler, Fernando, Craig Oda, Craig O.,
  Manuel Chakravarty, an interesting gentleman who worked with
  databases, Ken, and many other people.  Send me your name again.  I'm
  having a mental block and will revise the meeting minutes after I get
  more information.

  3.  Meeting Events - Technical

  We did a few installs.  The group broke up into two main clusters.
  One cluster concentrated on Sparc Linux.  The other cluster
  concentrated on Japanese support.

  3.1.	Japanese on Linux

  The Japanese support ran into problems.  Hajime led attempts to work
  with the damaged CDs found in Linux Japan and some scratched UNIX User
  CDs that contained Debian-JP 1.3.  This didn't go so well.  We had a
  short comparison of Wnn and Canna Japanese conversion engines.  Wnn is
  older and Hajime mentioned that it might have a better dictionary.
  Wnn is no longer under development as a free software.  Wnn6 is
  commercial software available from Omron.  Canna is still under active
  development.	There was also a discussion comparing Slackware, RedHat,
  and Debian installations.

  3.2.	Sparc Linux

  John Little and Jim Tittsler gave an introduction to Sparc Linux.  The
  installation bogged down due to slow disk partioning as a result of
  low ram.  Still, the process was a lot of fun.

  4.  Meeting Events - Administration

  The meeting had the longest administration meeting in TLUG history.  I
  think it lasted longer than 15 minutes.  Here is a summary of the
  administration events.  I'll try to write a longer description later.

  4.1.	Collection of Donations

  A maximum of 500 yen was collected from members.  Thanks!  I collected
  the money and used it for club administration.  Read the next section.

  4.2.	Election of Officers

  Joe Marchank nominated Craig Oda to be president of TLUG.  John Little
  and Jim Tittsler seconded the nomination.  In an open voting session.
  Craig accepted the position for a 1 year term.  One of the things I
  recommend is the creation of a TLUG executive board so we can vote on
  club finances and direction.

  4.3.	Registration with G.L.U.E.

  I used USD 48 (?) of the money collected to register TLUG with GLUE.

  4.4.	Focus on Goals

  The group wanted to have a few goals or projects to work on.	One is
  to get a machine with full-time connection to the Internet.  Another
  proposed goal is for the group to help the people of the world to get
  greater knowledge of multilingual software design.  I'll write more on
  this later.

  4.5.	Expansion of Meeting Dates

  There may be a social meeting on Nov. 13.  Demian will be collecting
  people's opinions on the feasibility. On Dec. 13, TLUG will be having
  a lottery for a Sparc IPC, courtesy of John Little.

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)