tlug: Meeting on Saturday

tlug note from "Robert J. Bickel" <rob@example.com>

I will be coming to the meeting tomorrow, so I thought I would just
give a brief introduction of myself before tomorrow.

I am a lecturer (koshi) at Tokyo Nokodaigaku in the Mechanical Engineering
Department.  I teach controls for mechanical systems.  When I was
a grad student I used linux at home and other unix systems at school,
but when I started working here, my Japanese was terrible (now slowly
improving), so I figured it would be just a real pain in the ass to
maintain a linux system by myself with no back up in case things
went wrong and not able to really communicate well with others, so that
I would be pretty much on my own as far as trying to fix any problem.
So, I took the safe route and used a windows OS.  When I started to
advise students, my Japanese slowly improved and some of them were
also interested in running unix systems, so now my lab has gone from
almost all Windows to almost all unix (linux and free bsd).
Unfortunately, I need to use a software package called Matlab which
I have for windows, but not unix.  I looked into purchasing a license,
for unix, but it was about 160 man for the first year alone.  A little
steep for my research budget.  If not for matlab, we would go to
linux full time.

So as far as my interests are in linux, they mainly lie helping me to
do my work well.  Which means using tex to write papers, xfig, etc
for graphics, cc to write some simulations in c, and networking to keep
in touch with other research.

Anyway, I hope to see everyone tomorrow.  Right now I plan to come for
the lunch, but if I'm late I'll see you at Starbucks.  I'm trying
to convince some of my students to come too.  See you tomorrow.

Rob

P.S.  The Tlug pages on Japanese have been very helpful.  Yesterday
I finally got the edict dictionary to work in mule.  I had tried before,
but was unsuccessful.  Thanks a lot Craig.

Robert Bickel, Lecturer
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184
Phone:     +81-423-88-7103
FAX:       +81-423-85-7204
Home:      +81-422-42-5615
Cellular:  +81-30-691-7580
e-mail: bickel@example.com
http://www.tuat.ac.jp/~bickel/rob/robw.html

In Japanese
$@example.com~G@example.com)Bg3X!"9V;U(B
$@")(B184$@example.com~ET>.6b0f;TCfD.(B2$@!<(B14$@!<(B16
$@example.com!'(B        0423-88-7103
$@%U%!%C%/%9!'(B  0423-85-7204
$@<+BpEEOC!'(B    0422-42-5615
$@example.com(B :    030-691-7580

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997