RE: tlug: Linux on IBM Thinkpad 230Cs?

tlug note from "Francks Trane (Tokyo PO)" <Francks@example.com>

kenhrd@example.com wrote:

>I tried on a Thinkpad230cs at my office (without getting permission)

;-)

>an install of slackware 3.2.  It did go well using a Ratok SCSI
>card for CD-ROM connection.  I used a boot disk for PCMCIA and installed
>the kernel from the boot disk.  I have not played enough since at the
>daytime I should pretend using Windows <g>.

I don't know how I'm going to get past the SCSI problem.
I don't have a SCSI PC card adapter. Looks like I'll be
making floppies forever and a day. :-\

(http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~adats/WL/),
>Planet SmartCOM2000 and 3500 should work.  Adachi (the page owner) says

Good news, as I have the ENW-3500. I like the Planet stuff.
I also use Planet ISA Ethernet cards and a desktop hub on
the PC's at home. No problems whatsoever with using them
as NE2000 clones.

>all modem card should work.

Great. Now, if only I can get my US/Canada Courier to handshake
with my Megahertz.<sigh> Hard to dial into your Linux box
when the modems are out to lunch.

>FYI my (office's) TP230cs is a modified one with 5x86-133 and 1.4G

That would be fun, but I think I'll leave the poor thing as is.
The AMD processor is good (I use it in my primary Linux box
at home), but I can't afford to spend any more money. The
wife is starting to get uppity ever since I bought that 21"
PanaSync/Pro 7G for 168,000....

>Good luck.

Thanks. I'll need it. :-)

trane

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997