Re: tlug: Help! Stupid Japanese printing question.

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 matt@example.com wrote:

matt>I guess I have to ask for help with this one. What I want is pretty
matt>simple (ha-ha): just to print plain (Japanese) text on a (Japanese)
matt>postscript printer.

Matt,
are you sure you have PostScript fonts in your printer?  Is
it one of those expensive Epson printers?  Most printers,
like the Hewlett Packard printers come with Japanese fonts,
but these are _not_ PostScript fonts.  Also, if you have MS-Windows,
it will even print to an English printer by sending the fonts
to the printer.

Try this, print Japanese to a file with something like MS Word.
The file should be PostScript.
Mount your Windows partition under Linux.  Open the file with
vi and make sure there are no funny headers.  As root,
do
  # cat filename > /dev/lp1

assuming your printer is attached to the parallel port.   It
should be able to print the Japanese.

If your printer does not have the Japanese _PostScript_ fonts,
you will have to filter through GhostScript to send the font
data to the printer.

What kind of printer do you have?  Is it connected to the
parallel port or to ethernet?  If to ethernet, is a machine like
Windows NT used as the spool, or is it a UNIX machine?  Or, is
the printer acting as the spool?

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997