Re: tlug: kaffe 0.9.1

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Craig> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    turnbull> Hey, is Kaffe really about 10x as fast as JDK 1.1.2?

    Craig> I've heard that it is signficantly faster and wanted to try

Yeah, me too.  Once classes get into a groove....  Guavac, too.

    Craig> Linux 2.0.29

    turnbull> What!?  Not the latest kernel?  Shame on you....

    Craig> Actually, do you think that the header files in the newer
    Craig> kernels might compile?  I'm going to try an upgrade tonight
    Craig> or this weekend.

Nope.  :-)  Just giving you crap.  But note that Debian provides
several different header packages---the basic choice is your current
kernel or a "stable" recent kernel.  Headers do cause a problem and
Java probably does reach way down into the kernel for some of the
things it needs to do.

    turnbull> my guess is that libc6 has changed some of the headers

This is still my guess; completely changing the library strikes me as
a great way to screw up working builds.

You might check and see whether you screwed up somehow in the
installation and don't have libc6-compatible headers.  This could
happen either from installing kernel source over top of the existing
system or some sort of think-o in the libc install process.

What's great about libc6, anyway?  Is it worth changing?

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi