Re: tlug: Memory use

tlug note from Totoro <riley@example.com>
>tlug note from Leo Glynn <pal@example.com>
>Hi Dave
>Here is something from REDHAT on this
>I had the same problem but can't remember what I did
>

>There are a couple things that could be wrong. On some 386's, you need
>to compile your kernel
>with ``Limit memory to 16M?'' enabled. Some AMI BIOS motherboards have a
>memory option to
>split memory into two segments. I'm not sure what the option is called,
>but it has something to do
>with ``linear''. You'll find it in your BIOS setup. You may need to
>specify the amount of memory to
>the kernel at boot time from lilo. To try this, type: linux mem=32M at
>the lilo prompt. If that
>works, you can add that line to the append in your /etc/lilo.conf and
>rerun lilo. The example from
>above would be:
>
>                     append = "mem=32M"

After doodling with this a bit and trashing the MBR, I squeaked in
and backed up and reformatted for a clean install. Turns out it was
just a simple adjustment in the BIOS setup. Sigh...

Who was that a few days ago that noted how much better it is to just
leave the machine alone for awhile?  ;->

BTW, the discussion of TLUG meeting dates way in advance is great,
as then I can try to make plans for a trip down.

Thanks for the help!

David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  Aomori-ken