RE: tlug: What's wrong with Microsoft?

tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>
Hi,

>tlug note from Philip Jarvis <jarvis@example.com>
[...]
>Let me begin by saying that I'm a recent Linux convert and wish
>it would displace MS in the marketplace.

It's not going to happen in the main market. As for server apps,
now that's a completely different picture. Whenever somebody
here tells me how great NT is, I just point them to the uptime
statistsics of our NT web server vs. that of a Linux box we're
hosting.

>What ARE people using for a word processor?  For that matter,
>what does Linux (or ANY UNIX box for that matter) have that can match
>MS Word.  LaTex?

Well, it's certainly not WYSI(W|A)YG, but I wouldn't want to miss
it for my papers and such. It certainly takes more time to get used
to, but in the long run it sure pays off.

>How about a spreadsheet?  Anything to compare with Excel?  Is there
>ANYTHING that can compete with Microsoft applications?

I haven't tried it personally yet, but you might want to check out
StarOffice for Linux.

Ciao,
Thomas