Re: tlug: Can't compile Arena

tlug note from Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
Hi all,

On 01-Jun-97 Dennis McMurchy wrote:
>> why are you
>> using (or want to use as the case may be) arena?
>
>  I'm always interested in a new and perhaps different browser,
>  but it was the international (i.e. CJK) version done by Omron
>  that interested me especially.

Ah, arena 0.97g doesn't work well at all. It keeps crashing when
encounterning a JPEG.

I went back and took a look at the 0.96s that came with Redhat
4.1 and the README is interesting:

This directory contains the files needed to make
an ELF dynamically linked arena 0.96s executable.
They were compiled with (ELF) gcc 2.6.4 snapshot 950310 and
CFLAGS -O2.

Assuming you have an ELF gcc, Make it with the command:

gcc -o arena arena.o libXext.so libX11.so libjpeg.so libwww.a
-lm

Then put libXext.so.*, libX11.so.* and libjpeg.so.* in a
directory that is listed in your /etc/ld.so.conf

I don't know, but maybe this sheds some light....

Jim S.

Sent by: Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
On: 01-Jun-97 at: 23:36:15 JST
http://www1.harenet.or.jp/~schweiz/
As long as the answer is right, who cares if the question is
wrong?