Re: tlug: Launching programs from fvwm menus

tlug note from Lance Cummings <lance@example.com>
On Sun, 01 Jun 1997 21:09:27 +0900 Craig Oda <craig@example.com> wrote:

> tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
> From: Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
> Subject: tlug: Launching programs from fvwm menus
> Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 20:30:48 +0900 (JST)
>

> >   Speaking of window managers, has anyone tried the AfterStep 1.0
> > window manager just released?  It compiles and installs cleanly on
> > my Slackware 3.1 installation.  I loathe the Windoze95 window frames,
> > but it does look interesting ( http://afterstep.edoc.com ).
>
> Dennis,
> I've recently started using it and have found that it does have
> some advantages: window shade on all windows, popout horizontal wharf,
> retractable vertical wharf, good icon set, nice clock, wharf can
> swallow pager, nice background images, good selection on mouse
> buttons (same as fvwm), enlarge covers entire screen - but leaves
> wharf visible.
>
> I've created a seperate account on my machine so that I can test it
> out when I am in the artistic mood.  I've also installed offix-files, gimp,
> xv, the extra icon set and a whole lot of other things.  It's pretty
> neat.  The two things that I can't do are: get the top wharf folder to
> display an icon, and get XEmacs to display Japanese properly.
>
> My main account is still 9wm.  I keep thinking that I'm going to get
> bored of it soon and switch to afterstep as my main window manager,
> but I've found it to be quite versatile.

I'm using Afterstep as well.  I really like it.  The shade function really
grows
on you.  :)  And the gradients make the wharf and titlebars extremely
nice looking.  Very non MSish.  As for the top icon in your wharf not working,
that is because you have a misconfiguration someplace in the wharf
section of your .steprc.  Sorry, but I'm probably not jouzu enough to fix
it for you, but there is a nice mailing list for Afterstep.

Put 'subscribe' in the body of a message and fire it off to:
afterstep-list-request@example.com

Also, the titlebar buttons/window frames are infinitely configurable.  You
don't have to settle for anything that even resembles MS.  RPM form
available, for both Caldera and Red Hat.

Finally, I can't get Japanese working in Xemacs either!  :(

Lance