tlug: newbie...well, potential newbie

tlug note from msk <jp000415@example.com>
Hello,

My name is Tim Mansfield.  I am a C programmer but know very little of
networking and of Unix.  I am eager to learn, though.

I have nine computers (3 pentiums and 6 macs) that I want to connect
into a LAN, w/ each machine having Internet access via a 128k line.  I
will buy one more computer to use as a web/mail/dns server (I hope these
can all fit into one machine!) and I s'pose the file server has to be a
separate machine?

I have heard that linux is a powerful networking-oriented OS, so I was
thinking of having the server(s) run that.  Is it recommended to set up
a file server, web server, etc. for a small business  all on linux?  I
mean, is this an OS primarily intended for use in labs or universities
and by hobbyists, or is it also an effective proposition for use in a
small business with lots of big file transfers and a requirement to
absolutely minimize data loss and lost mail? What are the things linux
is particularly good at and what is it quite poor at?   Is the learning
curve incredibly steep?

I have heard that linux can be a real bear to set up, configure,
maintain.  What's the call here, how tough is it, really, in the current
state of things?  Are the rewards worth whatever hassles are involved?
I've been pretty much stymied trying to get my macs and peecees to talk
to each other w/o spending a small fortune on licensing special
software, so I'm hoping that if both sides could just deal with this
linux server all might be well...?  As for Windows NT,  well, I've heard
it's okay but not wonderful, and I don't really want to spend that much
if I can get the same services for free.  I also like the community
spirit in which linux seems to have born, and since it will probably be
a struggle to get this network to work reliably anyway, I'd rather spend
my time on struggling with linux than spending both time and money
struggling with a microsoft product.

Judging from the e-mails I've seen on this list, I am out of my league
when it comes to net-savvy.  I hope my definitely-non-guru-type
questions don't annoy you folks.  If they do, please just point me
toward some other resources, and I'll amble off...

Thanks for your time.

Tim