tlug: unicode tcs

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

Hi,
I'm not too familiar with unicode, but I'm interested in playing
around with it.

I'm using a small program called tcs, "transfer character set,"
that does a fair job of changing jis, shiftjis, euc, unicode,
ascii, and other encoding methods.  The output can be in any
of the support formats.  Default is unicode.  I'm using
the unicode editors wily and sam under Linux to view the
text.  9term is also handy if given the flag -p9font unicode.9.font
or -p9font unicode.8.font.

9term is a little flaky on my system.  Use of wily and 9term are
pretty wild, different than the editors and terminals I'm used
to.

The problem I face now is that I can't input Japanese into
wily or sam (another unicode editor).  English is fine, but
I'm wondering how to input Japanese.  Right now, I guess I
could write HTML in EUC and convert to unicode for displaying
on a web site.  However, it would be interesting to work
with Unicode straight in the editor so that I can display
that upright smiley face.  I seem to recall that there was
a research project in Singapore to develop a multilingual
software develop environment.

If anyone is having success inputting characters directly
into a unicode editor, let me know.  I know that it is
possible with the hex code, but that is a bit too spartan
of a user interface for me.

Also, I got some e-mail from njwin saying that their program
now supports unicode and can work with other unicode capable
programs such as Communicator 4.0, Internet Explorer 4.0, and
Word '97.  I'm not sure what they mean by this, but it is
interesting to get more bits of info.

Regards,
Craig