tlug: Debian - Hamm and Window Managers [was Re: Canna and looking for other comments on a new install

On 24 May 1997, Steve Dunham wrote:

dunham>Use bo. Don't use hamm yet.

Steve,
thanks for the advice on this one.  I'll stick to Bo.  I'm not
into compiling things myself.  I mainly want a stable platform.

dunham>hamm is transitioning from libc5 to libc6.  So you will need new
dunham>versions of most shared libraries to compile stuff. But a lot of the
dunham>libraries aren't quite available yet, so you would have to rebuild a
dunham>lot of packages yourself (like X) or wait a while before you can
dunham>compile stuff.  - Compiling X is a good learning experience, but not
dunham>everybody has the time.

dunham>>   o  compile Perl5.004 from source with Japanese patch and install
dunham>
dunham>I'd suggest that you get the source to the perl5.004 package, extract
dunham>it, apply the patches and build a debian package with the Japanese
dunham>support.  BTW, what does the JP patch do?

I can parse Japanese.  The problem with Perl is that it messes
up on the Japanese text strings.  I'm not sure why.  I just
use JPerl and it works.  Perl without the patches will not output
Japanese properly.

dunham>  Rebuild afterstep with Japanese patches
dunham>
dunham>After all, you have to have Japanese properly displayed in your
dunham>titlebars.  :)

Ahh yes.  I was just thinking about this.  A clean install is
a good time to switch window managers.  I was going to try
afterstep.

Right now I am using 9wm, the plan9 window manager.  It has a
minimalist approach.  The 9term and wily (acme) editor are
pretty wild too.  I'm typing this in a kterm now because I
haven't quite figured out how to use 9term.  Also, I'm not
sure how I'll like 9wm and friends.  AfterStep might be
what I need.  What advantages does afterstep have?  Also,
if it is based on fvwm2, then there is a Debian-JP package
for fvwm2.

I've been using CDE on Solaris a lot recently.  It is pretty
good.  At first I thought that it was a pig, but I've come
to like it.  The Alt-Tab to go through windows is comparable to
fvwm2 Alt-F8 and Alt-F9 default settings.  Linux has CDE
available.  However, AfterStep looks enticing.

dunham>Also how about that script I promised you?  I'll attach it.

Awesome!  I've just downloaded Netscape and will give it a try.

Thanks!

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452