Re: tlug: kinput2 vs. egg [was: Yatta! ]

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
On Tue, 20 May 1997, C. Oda wrote:

> denismcm> why on earth would anyone who could have Wnn + tamago(Egg) input
> denismcm>(that actually seems to make a pretty good job of converting long
> denismcm>strings of input) want to use Kinput2, which is horrible to use on
> denismcm>anything but the shortest input strings (i.e. single words)
>
> Ahh yes, you noticed this too.  I thought that it was just my settings.
> I found this pretty hard to understand since kinput2 is set to use
> wnn on my system, so I thought that it would parse the Japanese
> bunsho correctly and work the same as egg-wnn.

  Well, this is interesting.  I just did two quick tests to confirm
our subjective impression that Wnn + tamago is much better than
kinput2  at parsing long inputs.

  Here are the results:

Input: kondo zendera he itte, tetsugyuu roushi no dokusanshitsu ni sanzen su.
Mule (Wnn + tamago): 今度禅寺へいって、鉄牛老篠道九三室に三全洲。
Kinput2 (in kterm):  今度禅寺へいって、鉄牛老篠道九三室に三全洲。
Correct:              ...................... 師の独参室に参禅す。

Input: ano doahou no hanashikata kara handan suru to, abashiri chihou de
       sodatta hazu da.
Both methods: あのドア方の話し方から判断すると、網走地方で祖だったはずだ。

  So much for subjective impressions.  Still unable to wean myself from
vi, I haven't actually used Mule for ages, so I've forgotten how to move
around in the fence during conversion, but if I remember correctly,
THAT was a lot easier in Mule than when using kinput2 in, say, jvim or
something.  This is perhaps where the impression that tamago in Mule
is so much better than kinput2 comes from.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka