tlug: kinput2 vs. egg [was: Yatta! XEmacs Japanese input with kinput2 via XIM]

tlug note from "C. Oda" <craig@example.com>
On Tue, 20 May 1997, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

denismcm>  Way to go Steve!  You did it!

Yes, congratulations Stephen.  Another notch in the old computer
case.  :-)   That looked like it required a bit of effort.

denismcm>  No, let me ask the really basic (read: possibly very dumb) question
denismcm>here: why on earth would anyone who could have Wnn + tamago(Egg) input
denismcm>(that actually seems to make a pretty good job of converting long
denismcm>strings of input) want to use Kinput2, which is horrible to use on
denismcm>anything but the shortest input strings (i.e. single words) and even

Ahh yes, you noticed this too.  I thought that it was just my settings.
I found this pretty hard to understand since kinput2 is set to use
wnn on my system, so I thought that it would parse the Japanese
bunsho correctly and work the same as egg-wnn.  Which brings up
the question, where does the responsibility of the FEP stop and
the JIM take over?   I'm not even sure I have the terminology correct
here.  I had thought that kinput2 was just a front-end processor
and Wnn was the Japanese input method.  I know that kinput2 can
be used with Canna, so I see the distinction there.

Here is what I thought:

Front End Processors: kinput2, egg, uum, canuum
Japanese Input Method: canna, wnn

both FEP and JIM: skk (I've never tried this at all)

I now feel that something is wrong with my understanding.
Any ideas, anyone?

denismcm>  I must be missing something (admittedly XIM is beyond my ken - does
denismcm>it really make the difference?).

If you feel like you might be missing something, so do I.  :-)

-=-----

Re: List Admin

There is a 40,000 character size limit on any single post.  This is
to help prevent mail bombs.  Stephen posted a nice gs printer file
to help with the printer questions.  Unfortunately, it got rejected
by the list software.  I was going to edit it and repost, but I
ran out of time.

I can either take the limit off (which I feel is a little dangerous),
or we can adjust.  Let me know if anyone has preferences.

------

Re: Meeting this weekend?

Anyone up for a meeting this weekend?  Saturday or Sunday?  JWT
volunteered his place and I am going to try and coordinate the
RedHat Applixware developers Office Suite demo with him if it is
a go.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452