Re: tlug: PAP and CHAP

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Alan> When I try to connect to AT&T all I get is

    Alan> CONNECT 115200

Have you tried throttling the modem back to say 9600 baud?

    Alan> Then nothing happens.

You don't really mean that "nothing happens," do you?  You should be
getting modem guano and so on.  I assume you are....  There's nothing
wrong with being a little imprecise when you have reason to believe
what you're asking is a FAQ, but by now you know better.

If you're not willing to change providers (I don't care if it _is_
provided by your employer; Tsukuba-dai refused to give me a reverse IP
lookup for two years---I don't know whether it had anything to do with
it, but it was about a week after I threatened to send GOL, my
off-hours provider, permission to use my testimonial that "I use GOL
because major research universities in Japan, namely UT, don't support
Internet standards" that I finally got my in.addr record added to the
database :-) or change back to Windope 95, you're going to have to
take a more scientific attitude.  Bill Gates is a Bill-ionaire because
he has created an environment where as many things work with Windope
95 as with any other OS---and he expects you to pay him for it.

If you want free and fun, you're going to have to do it yourself.
This means being scientific.  Keep logs of exactly what you've tried.
Keep logs of what the modem is telling you.  You can even get packet
traces from pppd, I bet (but that's overkill).

I don't know about PAP etc myself, but
(1) Have you gone to Craig Oda's site (http://www.twics.com/~craig),
    and got his TWICS logon script?  It may work out of the box with
    tweaks like phone #, user id, and so on.  If not, Craig actually
    wrote comments on why some settings are the way they are.  Read
    them.  That may help.
(2) Turn on debugging in pppd.  If your problem is PPP-level
    authentication (PAP/CHAP), then chat/expect shouldn't know
    anything about it.  pppd should use syslogd, so the messages
    should end up in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog, but you can
    probably redirect that.
(3) Get the RFCs and find out what the PAP/CHAP protocols are.
    Implement them correctly :-)
(4) Get somebody with Windope to call you up at your linux box with
    pppd's debug facility turned on, and see what the Windope box is
    telling your linux box.
(5) Go look up the pppd FAQ.  It's probably in /usr/doc/faq/faq....

    Alan> I've tried doing the step by step PAP, but no use.  I've

Maybe you did something (forgive me for saying it) dumb.  This is
where good logs help.

    Alan> done it on a Windoze machine, and even on my wife's Mac, but
    Alan> I can't get it to connect with Linux.  I'm going nuts.

HTH

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi